Everyone knows that one person who makes the most amazing burgers imaginable. For me, it’s my Uncle Carlos. I’ve spent years perfecting my own recipe, but since dietary restrictions abound in my house, I set out to make the most delicious healthy burgers out there. I could reduce the calorie and fat content even more by using ground turkey or making it a veggie burger but I think ground beef tastes better. I mitigate that by using lean, grass-fed, organic beef so it doesn’t have a lot of fat, hormones, or chemicals. This recipe can also be made gluten free by using gluten free instead of whole wheat bread crumbs and gluten free burger buns like Udi’s Gluten Free Burger Buns. All amounts are approximate and can be changed to suit your taste.
Prep Time: 40 min
Cooking Time: 5-8 min, depending grill and how done you want your burger
2 lbs 93% Lean Organic Grass-fed Ground Beef
½ Cup Low-fat Shredded Cheddar
½ Cup Onion, chopped
1 TBSP Italian spices
½ TSP Garlic powder
½ TSP Worcestershire sauce
Dash Salt & Pepper
1 Large Brown Egg
¼ Cup Whole Wheat Bread crumbs
Swiss or other low-fat cheese slices (if desired)
1. Preheat grill (traditional, skillet, or Foreman).
2. Break up ground beef and place it into large mixing bowl. Mix in cheddar and chopped onions with a large spatula.
3. Coat mixture with Italian spices, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and mix in.
4. Mix in large brown egg.
5. Mix in bread crumbs until meat starts to stick together.
6. Mix meat together with hands and create a large ball. Break off palm-sized pieces and mold into burger shapes (you can also use a plastic mold).
7. Grill burgers, flipping several times. Right before done, melt cheese on top.
8. Add onions, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mayo, or whatever you want to your burger and enjoy!