You don’t have to go the prepackaged and preservative-laden Pillsbury route for quick biscuits to go with tonight’s dinner. They also double well as part of a morning egg sandwich or just something quick to warm up and grab on your way out the door. For a healthier alternative, substitute whole wheat flour instead of enriched white flour. I like Whole Foods’ 365 Organic Whole Wheat Flour.
Prep Time: 25 min
Baking Time: 12-15 min
2 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour (can be Whole Wheat or Gluten-free)
½ TSP Baking Soda
5 ½ – 6 TBSP Unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 ½ TSP Baking Powder
1 Cup 1.5% Fat Buttermilk
1 TSP Kosher Salt
1. Heat oven to 400. Line baking sheet with foil and put in refrigerator.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
3. Add butter a few pieces at a time and mix in (can use mixer).
4. Add buttermilk and stir with wooden spoon. Dough should be sticky but not too wet.
5. Put large spoon-size amount of dough onto baking sheet and shape if necessary.
6. Bake on middle rack for 12-15 minutes until golden and a toothpick in center comes out clean.